Monday, December 12, 2016

WORDS, AND ITS A COMPLICATED (and here cold) WORLD.

William Butler Yeats
Sean O' Torain

Its cold here in Chicago today and nearly a foot of snow. You hardly ever get this kind of weather in my home country, or what was my home country, Ireland. Sometimes when I miss Ireland I read a few  lines of Irish poetry. Here are a couple from Yeats. Towards the end of his life he was somewhat influenced by reactionary views. But there were times when he could put together words that would fly. Here are a few. On different topics.  The first on the feeling for another. The second on learning and independent thought. The third on commitment or lack of it. And the fourth on the state of world capitalism today.


But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
Education is not the filling of a pail, but rather the lighting of a fire.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity.

Things fall apart the center cannot hold.

No comments: