- AFSCME Local 444 negotiations assesment 1997
- Preparing for Revolution: A discussion document
- The Internal lives of Revolutionary Organizations
- Socialist Alternative members: Questions and Answers
- Sanders: Our Alternative
- The Nature of the New European Left
- University of California workers and Unions
- An Invitation to Our Readers
- Facts For Working People Weekly Phone Conferences and Discussions
- Help open The AFL-CIO AIFLD Archives
Tuesday, December 13, 2016
The Union leadership and the The Team Concept. A disaster for workers
The Team Concept
The Team Concept is the worldview held by the strategists of organized labor. It argues that the bosses, or the capitalist class, and the working class have the same economic interests. This worldview is the root cause of the failure of the trade union hierarchy to organize a fight back and their outright collaboration with the bosses to the detriment of their own members' interests and the interests of the working class as a whole.
They believe there is no alternative to capitalism, that the working class cannot govern society, so mobilizing the power of their members, using our ability to shut down economic activity, is pointless. For them, it can only lead to chaos. So they offer concession after concession in order to make us more competitive and keep the profits rolling in. This takes us in one direction only and that's backwards.
Correction: I say in this video that the head of the Labor Council in Alameda County is on the state Democratic Committee but I meant the head of the San Francisco Labor Council. I also mistakenly referred to Jeff Goldstein as Jeff Nussbaum at one point.