Tony Smith: Re-open or Resign!!!
Press Conference and Opening of the People's School For Public Education tomorrow, Monday June 18th, 10 am @ Lakeview Elementary.
Day 4 of Lakeview Sit-in to Keep Neighborhood Schools Open!
On June 15th, after the last day of school, Oakland parents and teachers began a sit-in at Lakeview Elementary demanding that the district keep all neighborhood schools open. The district has not listened to lawsuits, pleas from parents and teachers, or protests. We know the money exists, but still they insist on closing flatland schools serving predominantly black and brown children. We say no more excuses! We’re keeping the schools open the last way left to us, by sitting-in. But we cannot do this alone. We need your support! Demand the district and the politicians give us full funding for quality education in neighborhood public schools. Join the fight for our kids’ futures!
Support the People's School for Public Education:
Show up to support the sit-in at Lakeview Elementary - 746 Grand Avenue (across from the Grand Lake Theater, at the 580 exit)
Come to Lakeview and ask how you can help with outreach and other tasks to support the sit-in
We are accepting donations. Come by Lakeview or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to see what we need.
On Monday, the 18th, we will be starting a free, week-long social justice summer program for our kids - Email email@example.com for more info and to enroll your child
Spread the word - Tell your friends and family! Invite them to the rally on Saturday or to come by and support us at another time.
Tony Smith: Re-open the five Elementary Schools or Resign!
Don’t Close the 5 Schools! Keep All Neighborhood Schools Open! Children’s Needs Before Administration’s!
Stop Attacks on Teachers and School Workers! Teacher Conditions=Student Conditions.
Refuse to Pay the Unjust State Debt!
Fully Fund Quality Public Education for All Students!
Learn more about Oakland's school closures:
Speaking out against school closures: Oakland’s Santa Fe Elementary
School Closures: District Calls for a Time-Out on Its 25-School Hit List
ROB ROOKE: School Board Says It’s Closing Time At Maxwell Park
Our Principles Of This Action
This is a parent, teacher, and student led action. Please respect and abide by their principles:
· Refer all interviews to parents, teachers, and people directly impacted by education struggle who are on a sit-in committee (they will be wearing a special shirt).
· Do not confront the police.
· No Black Bloc tactics.
· No Drugs or Alcohol. This is intended to be a children and family atmosphere.
· No Violence/destruction of property.
· People sitting-in will be people directly affected by education struggle and who work on a sit-in committee (wearing special shirts).
· This is a peaceful action.
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org and
Sign the Petition: saveoaklandschools.org
- AFSCME Local 444 negotiations assesment 1997
- Preparing for Revolution: A discussion document
- The Internal lives of Revolutionary Organizations
- Socialist Alternative members: Questions and Answers
- Sanders: Our Alternative
- The Nature of the New European Left
- Catastrophic Climate Change: Caused by Capitalism
- University of California workers and Unions
- An Invitation to Our Readers
- Facts For Working People Weekly Phone Conferences and Discussions