Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Students Struggle to Stay in School

The CSU system tuition fee hike is beginning to sink into students who have not been around all summer. Just as I was getting off the freeway to go to school, there was a student on the ramp with 2 posters, "I need C.S.U tuition fee to finish college math degree anything helps" and a second poster said, "Tuition: 1,700 Books: 200 The kindness of strangers: Priceless". This to me was the sign of studnets mood changing.

I got out of my car and went over to chatted up with him, I told him about the organizing that we are doing at Cal State and gave him an FFWP along with a donation and swapped info. He said that he couldnt afford the tuition becuase he lost his job and financial aid wouldnt kick in. He was out and determined to get enrolled into school.

It is astonishing what the system does to workers and students. When there is little or no options to make money, especailly with high rise of unemployment, then the next step is to go out and hope that people will be willing to help out.

I wish the best for that person. He definately will be the first of many students who will be out there strugglin to get by.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

School is industrialized brainwashing. We are better off without it.