We have readers that are Arabic speakers so this new song from hip hop duo Mohammed and Osama Elsusi is for them, especially Palestinian readers of the blog. It is from Ali Abunimah and his comments are below. Even if you don't understand the lyrics he is right when he says the chorus is haunting, a haunting melody.
From Ali Abunimah's blog, The Electric Intifada
I was introduced to Revolution Makers when I saw them perform a rare live hip hop performance in Gaza City during PalFest last May.
Since the duo, brothers Mohammed and Osama Elsusi, have put out a number of new songs.
This is their newest song, “What’s going on,” featuring Ayman Mghames.
In the notes on the YouTube page, they include an approximate English translation of the lyrics, but the spirit of the song is captured in the haunting chorus:
We wish for a life in which the cheapest thing is not our blood,
For our present days to withstand the challenge of what we’ve lived through,
To live to think about our future, to come together, together - oh our brothers
You can hear all of Revolution Makers’ music on their Soundcloud. I highly recommend it.
- AFSCME Local 444 negotiations assesment 1997
- Preparing for Revolution: A discussion document
- The Internal lives of Revolutionary Organizations
- Socialist Alternative members: Questions and Answers
- Sanders: Our Alternative
- The Nature of the New European Left
- University of California workers and Unions
- An Invitation to Our Readers
- Facts For Working People Weekly Phone Conferences and Discussions
- Help open The AFL-CIO AIFLD Archives