Monday, May 7, 2012

Wondrous science

Left: the two little ones I helped rear last year. About 2" long

I am sitting in my garden listening to music beside a flowering mint/sage the name I am not sure of.  I just watched an Anna's hummingbird take a sample from each flower, took about 15 minutes of continuous hovering. The wings of this tiny bird were moving so fast they are just a blur.

I wonder if this is one of the babies I helped rear in my small way last year.  This is them in the photo.  I felt moved and filled with a sense of humility for a moment as I thought of the marvels of science and organic life. I felt so lucky to have liberated myself from the mysticism of religion and the idea that some supernatural being is responsible for this. The fact that some humming birds beaks have evolved to fit exactly in to the shape of the flower that holds the nectar is a confirmation of the wonders of science indeed. Capitalism, the present system of production, will destroy this.   Our own existence in it is at risk and how society is organized certainly leaves us little time to reflect on such wonders or learn more about them.  We cannot be free to do so when basic survival and everlasting insecurity is the norm. This situation is upheld by organized religion and the belief in the supernatural.

Atheism is so superior to Theism.  The idea of gods or a god being responsible for that which we see around us every day cannot do justice to what is the reality of science and organic life.  Einstein said it better:

"I am a deeply religious nonbeliever.  This is a somewhat new kind of religion. I have never imputed to Nature a purpose or goal, or anything that could be understood as anthropomorphic.  What I see in nature is a magnificent structure that we can comprehend only very imperfectly, and that must fill a thinking person with a feeling of humility. This is a genuinely religious feeling that has nothing to do with mysticism. 

The idea of a personal God is quite alien to me and seems even naive."

And of course one of the more well known comments from Marx from a different angle:

"Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."

No comments: