Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Rape is a weapon of war



I wanted to share this because this is not just a problem in Burma, or Myanmar as it is called.  I was born there, a beautiful country my parents used to tell me.  My father loved it and loved the people. Rape has become more than ever a weapon of war.  I saw a film recently about Lebanon and it said there were as many as 200,000 rapes in that country's civil war. The same with the Congo, thousands of rapes.  In all countries, whether at war or not, rape is much more prevalent than we think.  It is common knowledge that most women never bother to report such an assault, especially if the perpetrator is a person of means.  Look what the Cameroonian woman who accused Dominique Strauss Khan went through.  And many that are reported are not investigated to the extent that they should be. The definition of rape must also be broadened to include many activities that were once considered acceptable, like lying to a woman in order to have sex with her. But in situations like Myanmar or countries under occupation or civil war, rape is an epidemic.

No comments: