Sunday, August 25, 2019

Ten years on.......we still miss him.


Spike: What a beautiful creature
Animals are precious kin. I have had them all my life. I had pet pigs, sheep, ducks and geese, chickens and cats. I had a pet Jackdaw that I rescued and that could talk like Jays can. And of course,  I've always had dogs. Some people can't have them because losing them is so tragic and painful; like losing a family member  but a domestic animal is a family member. A guardian, a friend and companion. The problem is we never experience the incredible love, loyalty and humor they bring us if we don't have them. It's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all. It's especially heartbreaking when its sudden. Spike went in for a teeth cleaning and never came out of anesthesia.  

I wrote this below the day after he died. It was one way of easing the pain, sharing it, getting it off one's chest as they say.

Spike,  born 12-26-96- died 8-24-09

8/25/2009

The little man has gone

We lost our precious Spike yesterday.  We buried him last night in the back yard.  We put pics and his favorite blanket in there with him along with a poem and two of his favorite treats.  The pain is excruciating; the little man has gone.

He was priceless.  He brought us great joy and pleasure, made us feel safer in our home.  He was a beautiful character.  We are so sad but know that the alternative to this pain would be that we wouldn’t have known him.  He took us in to the Redwoods.  It is because of him that I got to see the trails.

I couldn’t dig so two friends came over and John dug a hole for us.  Noah came and helped too, and Kisha, Mariah, Jerry and Isiah came and Jerry threw a shovel full of dirt over him as well.  Karen, who has looked after him as his Vet, came by as well.  He was on his favorite chair peaceful and beautiful.

John brought Birch leaves and we put down a bed of these for him to lay on.  Spike was a beautiful dog inside and out.  Animals are a part of us, or we are a part of them.  It is unbelievable that 18 pounds of flesh could have such a profound effect on those around him.  His presence is everywhere in this house.

Both Joanne and I are heartbroken but know it will pass and we will enjoy the memories of the times he brought us.  He is in the garden that he loved so much.

I am typing with only one hand due to my accident so I will say goodnight now.  Sorry to all the comrades and friends that tried to reach me yesterday and couldn’t, I was either too busy or incapable of talking (hard to believe I know).  And many thanks to those that knew about it and left messages.

Richard
-->

2 comments:

Sean said...

Regards Richard and Joanne. Wee Spike was a good friend and a character. I am sad remembering him. John (Sean) Throne.

BenL8 said...

Nice personal note, I love dogs a lot too. Wish I had the guts to take the responsibility to own one. Richard, read my latest at http://benL88.blogspot.com -- it's short, you'll like it. Hope you keep writing. B.