Friday, February 22, 2019

Afscme Local 444, and the Invasion of Iraq. A Tense Time.

I have been going through some old files and thought I share some history with our readers. Please be sure to read the letters at the end of the post and the resignation letter from a US diplomat who most of us have never heard of or if we did has long been forgotten, thanks to the media.  Consider that the mass murderer and war criminal George W Bush has been re-invented in the wake of the rise of the Predator in Chief and is now considered cuddly and quite popular. Michelle Obama has rescued him in a photo op, referring to him as her best friend and "partner in crime." Meanwhile the man who penned the resignation below is unknown. Talk about spin.

When the US government, invaded Iraq in 2003 without any justification, I opposed it and the horrifying slaughter that followed.  US imposed sanctions had already cost half a million lives, mostly women and children and to which Madeline Albright, US secretary of State said was "worth it".  So I introduced a resolution in my local union to which I had belonged for almost 30 years, opposing the invasion.

Needless to say, although I never felt in physical danger, it was a trying time as tensions were high and some co-workers, even liberals were on board with the invasion but conservatives that consistently attacked the US government as corrupt, bureaucratic etc. suddenly marched in lockstep with the likes of Bush, Powell and other lying representatives of US corporations.

In response, one of them, a true patriot he says, wrote the following on our employer's intranet at work, it was aimed at me and my objection to the invasion:

"I am sorry to have to reply to this, as I do not agree with the Intranet being used for political views or agendas. That said, the right of freedom of speech unfortunately, but not surprisingly extends to the radical views of those who oppose the very Country that has enabled us to have this freedom. Many innocent people and loved ones have been killed in a cowardly act that our Country has Proudly and without reservation had to respond to. As an American I am extremely proud of my Country and support all efforts at home and abroad to secure the safety and freedoms that we as Americans have been so richly Blessed to have. If our Union gives any creed to this resolution or support of any of kind of anti-American rhetoric, I as a Steward of Local 444,wich I have been a proud member for 16yrs, will resign my position as Steward and encourage those that I represent (American Workers) to do the same. No threats here. I will not support or be affiliated with any organization that would give this kind of un-American, pro Taliban-Terrorist propaganda. The essence of this whole subject should have never been seen in my work environment and I am ashamed to see our Union allowing this to continue. (Brian Burns)"

I was referred to as a terrorist and Taleban by a small minority of people but at least this one had the decency to sign his name to his views.  Mind you, it was me that contacted the NYC firefighters unions for their information and introduced the letters included at the bottom of this post. Naturally they were unanimously supported.

Here is the diplomat's resignation letter.  I had forgotten all about it.

Published on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 by CommonDreams.org Letter of Resignation by John H. Brown, Foreign Service Officer

To: Secretary of State Colin Powell March 10, 2003 Dear Mr. Secretary: I am joining my colleague John Brady Kiesling in submitting my resignation from the Foreign Service (effective immediately) because I cannot in good conscience support President Bush's war plans against Iraq. The president has failed: --To explain clearly why our brave men and women in uniform should be ready to sacrifice their lives in a war on Iraq at this time; --To lay out the full ramifications of this war, including the extent of innocent civilian casualties; --To specify the economic costs of the war for ordinary Americans; --To clarify how the war would help rid the world of terror; --To take international public opinion against the war into serious consideration.

Throughout the globe the United States is becoming associated with the unjustified use of force. The president's disregard for views in other nations, borne out by his neglect of public diplomacy, is giving birth to an anti-American century. I joined the Foreign Service because I love our country.

Respectfully, Mr. Secretary, I am now bringing this calling to a close, with a heavy heart but for the same reason that I embraced it. Sincerely, John H. Brown Foreign Service Officer John H. Brown, a Princeton PhD, joined the Foreign Service in 1981 and has served in London, Prague, Krakow, Kiev, Belgrade and, most recently, Moscow.

A senior member of the Foreign Service since 1997, he has focused his diplomatic work on press and cultural affairs. Under a State Department program, he has, up to now, been an Associate at the Institute for the Study of Diplomacy at Georgetown University, where he was assigned in August 2001.


No comments: