Sunday, August 14, 2016

Irish team wins the gold and explain how they did it.


My friend from North Carolina asked me if the guys above who won the rowing gold in Rio were speaking English. What's the matter with her? Of course they are. They're just excited and as they say, it's great craic altogether.  No prepping for these guys, say this, say that. Be professional don't upset the viewers or more importantly, the sponsors, don't say anything controversial.

I went in to a pub once, or should a say an Irishman who shall remain unnamed took me in to it. It was in Galway. "Only Irish spoken here" a sign said. I was disappointed not because I can't speak Irish, but because I would be denied the pleasure of hearing English spoken the Irish way.

You have to love these two guys, regular folks, went to Rio and won the damn medal,  I miss this accent so much. In England it is not a rarity, and is particularly common in the sport of horse racing as so many jockey's are  Irish and some of the greatest trainers in the world are too.

So, in the words of a famous Yorkshireman,  Eyt all, sup all, pay nowt; And if ivver tha does owt fer nowt – Allus do it fer thissen.

No comments: