- AFSCME Local 444 negotiations assesment 1997
- Preparing for Revolution: A discussion document
- The Internal lives of Revolutionary Organizations
- Socialist Alternative members: Questions and Answers
- Sanders: Our Alternative
- The Nature of the New European Left
- Catastrophic Climate Change: Caused by Capitalism
- University of California workers and Unions
- An Invitation to Our Readers
- Facts For Working People Weekly Phone Conferences and Discussions
Tuesday, August 28, 2012
Capitalist crisis savages Tampa, no work, no home.
Tampa Florida has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country. The person in this video says all that is wanted is to get people, "honest working people" some money in their pockets. But this means work. There are maybe 30 to 40 million people that capitalism refuses to put to work. Why is this? It is a question of profitability. The owners of capital (yes, capitalists) do not lay it out, do not invest in production if there is no profit in it, it doesn't matter how "needed" the commodity is in society whether it be food or cars. Food is a commodity and if you don't have the money to buy it you can starve.
In the capitalist mode of production the object of the activity for the owner of capital is not the commodity produced and its use, but surplus value, the capital laid out plus added value that is created in the production process specifically from the use of human Labor power, or the hiring of workers as Labor produces more value than is returned to it in the form of wages. If the profit is not there, or the risk too great, then production won't take place.
Think of the insanity of it, people homeless, without shelter, as millions of living quarters stand . empty. People that will work, but capital won't employ them. People starve among plenty. This is not civilization